A short-term rental is a residential dwelling unit or room with a residential unit rented for a limited amount of time, typically on a nightly basis. Web platforms such as Airbnb and HomeAway can be used to help operate short-term rentals. Jefferson City has rules and regulations for short-term rental hosts:
Who May Rent?
1. Short-term rentals may only be operated if you are the owner of the subject property.
- If you are a renter, and wish to operate your rental as a short-term rental, you need authorization from the landowner in writing.
- Short-term rentals are permitted in Mixed Use (MU-1), Office Commercial (C-O), Neighborhood Commercial (C-1), General Commercial (C-2), and Central Commercial (C-3) zoning districts. If your property is in one of these districts, apply for a business license.
Applications can be found at City Hall or online. Please click here.
- Verify your zoning with a Planner by calling the City of Jefferson Planning Division at (573) 634-6313.
1. Short-term rentals are only permitted within an existing primary structure residence. Accessory structures, such as a garage, are not permitted to be used for sleeping or accommodation purposes.
2. Number of occupants in a short-term rental.
- Short-term rental of a residence: No more than 5 unrelated persons or any number of persons related by blood, marriage, or adoption are permitted.
- Short-term rental of a lodging room: No more than 4 people are permitted in a short-term rental lodging room. Multiple lodging rooms within one residence are not permitted.
- One sign, of a maximum size of one square foot, attached to the exterior of the short-term rental is permitted. This sign cannot be lighted or accompanied by any other displays.
- 2 on-site parking spots where on-street parking is permitted.
- 3 on-site parking spots where on-street is not permitted
- Fire extinguishers in each sleeping room. One in the common area.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in each sleeping room. One of each in the common area.
- Fire escape plan posted in each sleeping area. One in the common area.
- Two exits on any level.
- No hot plates or microwaves allowed in sleeping areas.
There are 6 main steps to becoming a short-term rental host. Please review the Short-term Rental Responsible Hosting Fact Sheet.
If you have any additional questions please contact the Planning Division at (573) 634-6410 or at email@example.com