Located in North Jefferson Recreation Area, the demonstration garden is part of a cooperative effort between the University of Missouri Cole County Extension Master Gardener program (local chapter is known as Central Missouri Master Gardeners) and Jefferson City Parks, Recreation and Forestry.
The garden began in 1997 where the rent-a-garden program resides today. In 2004 it was relocated to its current location on the southwest corner of Fourth Street and Cottonwood Drive. September 2013 saw the sign dedication of the demonstration gardens and its surrounding area as Bill Quigg Commons, honoring Mr. Quigg's contributions to the City of Jefferson.
A grant was given by Missouri Department of Conservation to develop a garden area recognizing plants collected by Lewis and Clark during their 1804-1806 expedition in Missouri. Other areas include Missouri River bogs, children's garden, perennial garden, and a conifer garden.
Those interested in becoming a Master Gardener can contact the Cole County Extension office at (573) 634-2824.