The Jr. NBA Skills Challenge presented by Under Armour provides boys and girls, ages 13 and younger, the opportunity to showcase their fitness through a dribbling, shooting, and rebounding skills competition in the sport of basketball. The program is free for all participants. Boys and girls compete separately in two different age groups: 11U and 13U.
If you need to register the day of the event, registration will be taken between 3:00-3:30 pm at The LINC.
All participants must have a parent or guardian fill out a registration/liability form obtained from the Jr. NBA member organization hosting a Local Competition. Boys and girls ages 13 and under MUST provide a copy of valid birth certificate or other proof of identification for age verification. Each player may participate in only one Local Competition. Competing in more than one Local Competition will result in disqualification.
To determine the appropriate age group for each participant, refer to the chart below. Participants must be born between the dates shown to be eligible to compete in an age group.
|Age Groups||Born Between|
|11U||Born on or after September 1, 2007|
|13U||September 1, 2005 - August 31, 2007|
Advancement: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place finishers in each age and gender group are submitted and advance to a Regional Competition.
Objective: To challenge players to zig-zag dribble through cones, speed dribble, shoot, rebound, and to score as many points as possible by making shots from designated shooting spots in 1 minute. Player concludes the 1 minute competition with 1 free throw for bonus points.
Regional Competitions: February 17, 2019 – April 28, 2019
- The NBA will host Regional Competitions at select pre−determined multi−court facilities on a Saturday or Sunday.
- Players receive t−shirts, awards, and potentially team sponsor related items.
- The 1st Place Champion in each age and gender group from each of the Regional Competitions will automatically advance to the National Finals.
National Finals: June 18, 2019 – June 21, 2019 (New York City)
- The Regional Competition Champions (top male and female in each age group) will compete in the National Finals.
- Finalists win an all−expense paid trip to New York City, receive gift bags, attend special events, interact with NBA/WNBA/G−League Players, Legends, & Draftees, and attend the 2019 NBA Draft presented by State Farm.
- All girl participants will compete with a 28.5” basketball.
- All boy participants will compete with a 29.5” basketball.
- Participants may shoot using any technique desired.
- Any part of the participant’s foot must be touching the shooting spot as they release the ball for the basket to count. They do not need to be touching/landing on the spot after a shot has been taken.
- A kicked over cone is permitted, provided that the participant dribbled, rounded, and weaved past the cone correctly.
- Participants must dribble the basketball throughout the challenge.
- No out of bounds.
- Each participant receives only one official attempt to complete the challenge.
- For more information please contact Steve Schellman at 573-634-6493 or email@example.com or visit: https://jr.nba.com/skillschallenge