Citizen's Police Academy
The academy is designed to enhance the Jefferson City Police Department’s active partnership with the community. Critical to the success of this partnership is well-informed citizens who have an awareness of the mission, resources, practices, and services of their police department.
Topics addressed in the Academy include:
• Introduction to JCPD Command Staff
• Tour of Police Department
• Patrol Activities and Demonstrations
• Officer Selection & Training
• Community Action Team
• SWAT / Tactical Operations
• Drug Enforcement
• Criminal Investigation/Crime Scene Processing
• Traffic Enforcement/DWI/Accident Investigation
• Internal Affairs
• Support Services/ Communications / Records Management
• Use of Force/ Defensive Tactics/Firearms
• And much more!The academy has three goals:
1. To allow citizens the opportunity to increase their knowledge of the duties, procedures, and responsibilities that officers of the Jefferson City Police Department perform daily.
2. To bridge the gap that has traditionally existed between the police and the community.
3. To provide you through this instruction a new frame of reference that will allow you a better understanding of why we do what we do.All applicants must be at least 18 years of age. The selection of participants will be at the discretion of the Jefferson City Police Department.
The Citizens Police Academy meets at the Jefferson City Police Department on Wednesday evenings from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. beginning August 30, 2023 and ending on October 25, 2023. In addition to the scheduled classes, a “ride-along” with our patrol officers will be made available to those wishing to do so.
Anyone interested in attending the Academy must complete an application. All applicants will be subject to a comprehensive criminal background check.
Citizen Police Academy Printable Flyer
Citizen Police Academy Application Packet
Sgt. Jason Payne
Phone: (573) 634 6400
Email Click Here