Hours: Monday - Saturday 12:00 pm - 4:30 pm
The Animal Shelter is closed on the following holidays:
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King's Birthday
Harry Truman's Birthday
The Friday after Thanksgiving Day
and whenever City offices are closed.
Adoptions are on a first come, first serve basis. The shelter cannot hold animals.
The adoption fee for both dogs and cats is $50.00 (cash or local check only).
All of the following services are included in the fee:
- Physical examination provided by shelter veterinarian
- Vaccinations All dogs and cats are up to date on vaccinations at the time of adoption. For dogs, this includes: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parvo, Parainfluenza, Bordetella. For cats, this includes: Rhinotracheitis, Calici Virus, Panleukopenia, Chlamydia. Most will require an addition booster(s) at the adopters expense.
- Blood testing All dogs 6 months and older are tested for heartworms. All cats are tested for Feline Leukemia Virus, Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) and heartworms.
- De-worming All dogs and cats have a fecal done and are administered their first de-worming for the appropriate internal parasites. Additional deworming treatments may be required at the adopters expense.
- Additional treatments Any animal found with ear mites are treated once at the shelter with Revolution. All animals are treated for fleas with a topical flea product.
- Heartworm Preventative: Heartworm preventative is very important in this area to prevent the infection of Dirofilaria immitis, a potentially life-threatening infection. To lament the importance of this year-round preventative, all dogs are started on a heartworm preventative.
- Microchip The shelter will implant an AVID FriendChip into all adopted animals. An AVID FriendChip is a very small microchip, approximately the size of a grain of rice, that contains a one-of-a-kind identification number and is implanted safely into your pet just under its skin. It is then your responsibility to register your pet's identification number with the PETtrac national database. If you then lose your pet and it is taken to a participating animal shelter or veterinarian, your pet can easily be identified and you will be notified. Over 17,000 pet scanners have already been distributed and are helping to reunite lost pets with their owners every day. Note: The Jefferson City Animal Shelter will only microchip animals adopted from the shelter. Please contact your veterinarian to have your existing pets microchipped.
- Spaying/Neutering All dogs, cat and rabbits will be spayed or neutered before going home.
- Rabies vaccination All dogs and cats are vaccinated for rabies if old enough. If an animal is too young to receive a rabies vaccination, a voucher will be given to you on the day of the adoption. The vaccination will be done by a participating veterinarian on our contract list.
Coupon for Science Diet Dog/Cat Food
Science Diet provides all of our adopters with a $5 off coupon for dog/cat food at the time of the adoption.
Note: The following services are not included in the adoption fee: vaccination boosters, second de-worming, additional ear mite treatments.