Questions Frequently Asked of the City Clerk's Office
What do I need to do to file for election to a City office?
You can find all information you need on the City Elections web page.
How do I make a presentation at a City Council meeting?
There are various opportunities on a Council agenda to speak to the City Council. The agenda allows presentations in the following categories:
- Public Hearings - There is no requirement to get on a list in advance of the meeting, but a sign-in sheet may be presented for large hearings to make sure everyone has their name read to come forward to testify.
- Presentations From the Gallery on Specific Bills or Resolutions - The bill or resolution must appear on the agenda; speakers do need to request to be placed on a list, and will be limited to five minutes.
- Presentations from Staff, Consultants, and Invited Guests - Section 2-193 of the Code requires that for a speaker to be an 'invited guest,' they must have three Council Members, or the Mayor and two Council Members, shown as "inviters," and will be limited to ten minutes.
- Presentations From the Gallery on Other Topics - A person may speak on any topic at any meeting, and will be limited to three minutes.
Do I need a permit to have a garage sale?
In short, no.
A garage sale is considered a public sale of goods. Can also be referred to as a porch, patio, yard, rummage, or any similarly named sale. The party having the sale can be a person, firm, partnership, association, company or organization within the Jefferson City limits. Goods for sale shall include wares, merchandise, goods, articles or other personal property.
Please follow these guidelines when planning, advertising, and executing your garage sale.
1. Please do not erect, place, post or mark any sign on public property, including street signs or posts, traffic signs or posts, or on any public utility pole.
2. All advertising signs posted in yards can be posted one day prior to the sale and must be removed on or before the last day of the sale
3. No citizen can display, or allow to be displayed, any goods offered for sale at a garage sale on any public street or right of way.
Planning and execution guidelines:
1. Garage sales must be held between the hours of 7:00 am and 8:00 pm.
2. Garage sales cannot last more than three days.
3. Citizens can’t have more than two garage sales within the city per calendar year.
May the weather smile upon you!
Does my pet have to have a pet "license" (tag)?
No. You are not required to "license" a pet, but the pet does need to have all required vaccinations and abide by all laws set forth in Chapter 5 of the City Code. For more specific questions about pets, or animals in general, contact the City's Animal Control Section by calling (573) 634-6429.
Can I use my bow and arrows in the City?
Bow and arrow target practice, and even hunting, may be permitted under very specific conditions in Chapter 18 of the City Code, specifically Sec. 18-130. If you still have questions after reading the Code, call the City's Law Department at (573) 634-6314 with further questions.
Can I use a firearm in the City?
Firearm use is addressed very specifically in Chapter 18 of the City Code, at Sec. 18-131. If you still have questions about the issue after reading the Code, call the Jefferson City Police Department's non-emergency number at (573) 634-6400.
When can burn leaves and tree limbs in the City?
The yard waste open burning season runs from November 1 through March 1 each year, and is regulated by certain daylight and weather condition restrictions. The Fire Department may issue a "No Burn" order at any time during that period if they deem conditions hazardous. This law is found in Chapter 13 of the City Code. If you have more questions after reading the Code, call the Jefferson City Fire Department at (573) 634-6401. The burning of anything other than yard waste is prohibited.
Do I need a business license for my activity / event / business?
You can find all information about what kind of, or whether you need, business licenses on the Business License web page.