A short-term rental is a residential dwelling unit or room with a residential unit rented for a limited amount of time, typically on a nightly basis. Web platforms such as Airbnb and HomeAway can be used to help operate short-term rentals. Jefferson City has the following rules and regulations for short-term rental hosts:
Who May Rent?
1. Short-term rentals may only be operated if you are the owner of the subject property.
- If you are a renter, and wish to operate your rental as a short-term rental, you need authorization from the landowner in writing.
- Visit the Business License Division web page for more information, or call (573) 634-6322
- Short-term rentals are subject to local lodging tax per Section 17-63 of the City Code. A tax of 7 percent per occupied room per night shall be collected and remitted to the City. Section 17-65 of the Code states that the lodging tax shall be paid to the City monthly. For more information contact the Finance Department at (573) 634-6508. Short-term rental hosts should use the Lodging Tax Form to report taxes.
- REMEMBER, in order to get a short-term rental business license you need to comply with the following building and housing standards.
1. Short-term rentals are only permitted within an existing primary structure residence. Accessory structures, such as a garage, are not permitted to be used for sleeping or accommodation purposes.
2. Number of occupants in a short-term rental.
- Short-term rental of a residence: No more than 5 unrelated persons or any number of persons related by blood, marriage, or adoption are permitted.
- Short-term rental of a lodging room: No more than 4 people are permitted in a short-term rental lodging room. Multiple lodging rooms within one residence are not permitted.
- One sign, of a maximum size of one square foot, attached to the exterior of the short-term rental is permitted. This sign cannot be lighted or accompanied by any other displays.
- 2 on-site parking spots where on-street parking is permitted.
- 3 on-site parking spots where on-street is not permitted
- Fire extinguishers in each sleeping room. One in the common area.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in each sleeping room. One of each in the common area.
- Fire escape plan posted in each sleeping area. One in the common area.
- Two exits on any level.
- No hot plates or microwaves allowed in sleeping areas.